January 17, 2012

PF Changs Rock n Roll Half Marathon

We have been training for this for the past 4 months.... and finally the day has arrived...  The PF Chang's Rock n Roll Half Marathon!!!

Cindy came up to Flagstaff on Friday night to stay with the kids.  On Saturday morning, David, Samone and I head to Phoenix to her soccer game!!! It was a very depressing soccer game!!  After the game, Samone left with Lily and we headed to check in to the race.  We ate lunch first.  It was nice.  We sat outside at a Greek restaurant in downtown Phoenix.  Then we headed to the Expo to check in and walk around!!!  We checked in to our hotel and then headed to downtown Scottsdale.  We walked around a bit then headed to Bucci de Pucci to meet Kari, the Wrights, Donn Merrick and another friend of theirs for dinner!!  We got back to our hotel and relaxed a little before heading to bed!!!

RACE DAY!!!  Up at 5:30am!!  We got ready and then headed to the lobby to catch our shuttle to the race!!  ONLY THERE WAS NO SHUTTLE!!!  The shuttle was stuck in traffic!!  It got pretty frantic, with so many of us racers there waiting for the shuttle!!  The manager on duty was nice enough to drive us in her own car!!  She got up pretty close!!!  As soon as we got there, we found our corral!!  It really is just such an exciting event!!  All the people, the music, the atmosphere!!!  It really gets you pumped up!!!  AND WE"RE OFF!!!  We separated pretty quickly!!  My goal was two hours so I was keeping my eyes open for the 2 hour marker!!  I passed the 2:15 marker pretty quickly.  David caught up with me about mile 6.  That was about when I closed in on and passed the 2 hour marker.  That is also about when my leg started giving out on me!!!  OH MAN, it was HURTING!!!  I just started praying!  I was praying and praying that God would just let me finish this race in 2 hours.  I could not let this slow me down!!  I was so determined to finish this race in 2 hours!!!  I knew I had a good distance between me and the 2 hour marker, so I did ease up a bit!!  David and I were running together for awhile, he just a few seconds ahead of me.  Then he headed over to one of the stations to get a drink and I lost him!!!  I wasn't sure if he was ahead of me or behind me.  At this point, about mile 10, I just had to put my head down and focus!!  Then the  2 hour marker was about to pass me!! Oh no, I had eased up too much.  But my leg was killing me!!!  I was so afraid it was going to give out on me!!  More prayer and more focus!! I was able to put some distance between me and that marker again!!  When I passed the finish line I knew I was under 2 hours, but not sure by how much!!! Drum roll please......

1 hour, 57 minutes and 11 seconds!!!  I was on cloud nine!!! I DID IT!!!  However, once I quit running, I now could barely walk at all!!!  I found David.  He was 2 hours 1 minute!!  Apparently his stomach started bugging him and he actually threw up!!!  Poor guy.  He was pretty upset about it!!  We got our snacks and then headed off to the meeting spot.  We had our free beer and met up with everyone!!!  We walked to Hooter's to meet up with everyone and I was in so so so much pain I could barely walk.  By the time we finally got back to the hotel I was hurting so bad!!!  But it was so worth it!!  I am so proud of myself and so proud of my time!!!!  Can't wait to do it again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment